Eclipse Quilt: Victoria
In the dead silence, all the details suddenly fell into place for me with a burst of intuition.
Something Edward didn't want me to know.
Something Jacob wouldn't have kept from me.
Something that had the Cullens and the wolves both in the woods, moving in hazardous proximity to each other.
Something that would cause Edward to insist that I fly across the country.
Something that Alice had seen in a vision last week--a vision Edward had lied to me about.
Something I'd been waiting for anyway. Something I knew would happen again, as much as I might wish it never would. It was never going to end, was it? ...
She came back for me, I choked out.
Victoria was never going to give up till I was dead. She would keep repeating the same pattern--feint and run, feint and run--until she found a hole through my defenders.
(Eclipse, pp 79-80)
As much as I love paper piecing, the method isn't always suited for certain blocks. Faces aren't easy to paper piece. Almost all of the blocks depicting people that I've seen are faceless. I've seen blocks with drawn on faces or the blocks just feature the face so there can be detail. (There are a few patterns that I've seen for Harry Potter blocks at Sewhooked that do an adequate job.) I felt that I wouldn't be happy with a paper pieced Victoria block, especially since I didn't want to just have her face. I've also been wanting to try a photo-inspired art quilt for a very long time. (I can't recommend Leni Levenson Wiener's Photo-Inspired Art Quilts enough!) In the end, I'm incredibly happy with this block except for.....her face.
I used a picture of Bryce Howard as Victoria from Eclipse, the movie, that has been released.
I cropped the block of almost all the surrounding vegation because I wasn't going to make it in fabric. The book suggested using Photoshop's cut-out filter to simplify the photo. I don't have Photoshop so my dad helped me with that. This is where things get fuzzy..... I also manipulated the photo with Martha Stewart's glitter painting application. I'm can't remember if I ended using his block, one I uploaded to the Martha Stewart site, or a combination of the two.
Somehow I ended up with this:
I used pencil to define the sections of hair and her jacket. The hair wasn't too bad once I got going--the most difficult thing was picking out the fabrics. I got lazy and didn't do all the detail of her jacket--it was made easier by the awesome main jacket batik fabric I used. Constructing the face was a big problem. I admit to crying a lot over it. I didn't have a lot to work with from the pattern. I think the photo became too blurred when enlarged. Three noses later, four sets of eyes, and different shading led me to my finished block.
I learned a lot in making this block and am willing to trying another. I would prefer the block be bigger one, though. I also have a lot of practicing to do with photo editing.